Skip to content

Around the world in 800 days

February 18, 2011
tags:
by

Utila: Today we’ve been travelling for 800 days in an adventure that easily rivals Phileas Fogg’s (and on considerably less money!). In the past 26 months we’ve visited 36 countries in 5 continents. Been to mountains and valleys, dived in caves, rivers and oceans, trekked islands and deserts, jungles and alpine forest.

Recording gelada chatterings in the highlands of Ethiopia

Why not browse the journey so far through Nick’s photos, view a selection of Nick’s pictures in the SLIDESHOW below, or pick and choose among posts by date or category in the ‘Browse a Topic’ on the right-hand column. To give you a start, I’ve inserted some links below.

Rapa Nui (Easter Island), Chile

We’ve met remarkable people including a man who is connecting remote Himalayan villages using WiFi, to a woman who has built a school library from plastic bags. We’ve met a man who’s creating artificial glaciers and a woman who is protecting large swathes of Amazon.

Turkana woman, northern Kenya

We’ve visited The Hobbit and Lucytagged whale sharks in the Maldives, tracked Asian rhino and tigersgorillas and chimpsAfrican and Asian elephants, watched tapirs and macawsslothskoalas and ocelots.

In the salt flats of Uyuni, Bolivia

We’ve taken an incredible journey to visit warring tribes at the Lake Turkana on the borderlands of Kenya and Ethiopia with a fearless Catholic priest, and followed blue whales through the fjords of Patagonia.

Char survivor, West Bengal, India

We’ve looked at how sustainable living is made vulnerable by development, and disease is spread through poor urban planningattended climate change conferences, seen examples of sustainable design in houses and entire villages, looked at char burial and ancient and new agricultural solutions, and seen how guinea pigs can power a home.

Monks, Laos

I’ve spouted off on carbon caps and lack of government action, on scepticism and racism, on African democracy and hunger, the problems with developmentoverpopulationclimate insurance and revolutionaries.

A humpback whale breaches off Costa Rica's Osa Peninsula

We’ve met villagers finding new ways to deal with the drought and floodssalinationrising sea levelsglacial melt and monsoon failures associated with climate change.

Rescued baby spider monkey, Bolivia

This journey has been about the amazing people we’ve met, the animals and plants we’ve seen and the landscapes we’ve enjoyed.

Baby chimp looks down at us, Uganda

So far, it’s been a wonderful, if sometimes difficult and exhausting journey for us. Along the way we have been supported with the kindness of strangers and the love of our friends and family back home. And we’ve met you, too, our lovely blog-friends.

Leaping above a volcanic crater, Galapagos Islands

If you’ve got a few minutes, why not watch some of Nick’s lovely photos in this slideshow:

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

We’re on the final stretch now, travelling from Utila (Honduras) up to Mexico. Hope you’ll come with us. Cheers! xx

Advertisements
85 Comments leave one →
  1. Dave Kidbrooke permalink
    February 20, 2011 12:30 pm

Absolutely fantastic stuff. A combination of a selection of your pieces and Nick’s photos would make a wonderful coffee table book. I for one would definitely buy it and I’m sure thousands of others would too.

2. February 21, 2011 3:46 pm

Looks like a wonderful experience. Great photos, and thank you for sharing.

3. J Roycroft permalink
    February 21, 2011 4:01 pm

Great photographs, Congrats on FP

4. February 21, 2011 4:22 pm

The faces and places here are absolutely breathtaking! Thank you for sharing…

5. Zyhr - Three Dimensional Schizo permalink
    February 21, 2011 4:41 pm

To experience the world like that would be an incredible journey to life. I envy you guys.

6. February 21, 2011 4:42 pm

Great post – That main pic instantly brought back memories of sitting among the Gelada Babboons up in the Simiens. Great work. John

7. February 21, 2011 4:46 pm

Sounds absolutely amazing! The photos are fab! Nice blog…Cheers!

8. February 21, 2011 4:53 pm

I’m jealous. Do you get that a lot?

Great picks. Glad you were Freshly Pressed so that I could see them.

Crystal

9. UdaRusdi cs permalink
    February 21, 2011 4:59 pm

nice.

10. February 21, 2011 5:09 pm

The baby spider monkey is so cute!

11. February 21, 2011 5:12 pm

Poke me if planning to pay a visit in Bangladesh. 😀 No big deal, just would like to say hello in person. 😀

12. February 21, 2011 5:36 pm

Oh my word, I am so jealous. What an amazing opportunity! So glad you are sharing these pictures with the blogging community. I am astounded by the pictures. So beautiful!

13. Modern Cowgirl permalink
    February 21, 2011 5:46 pm

wow – amazing!

14. Carly permalink
    February 21, 2011 5:48 pm

I love the monkey pictures! Here are some more cool monkey pictures:

15. February 21, 2011 5:50 pm

These pics are so rich in culture. Thanks for sharing!!

16. February 21, 2011 5:54 pm

This was just wonderful photography and I enjoyed every bit of the slide show.

17. February 21, 2011 5:55 pm

The pic of the humpback whale was good. Keep the good work.

18. February 21, 2011 6:08 pm

amazing pictures. looks like you had a blast. traveling the world is something i would love to do as soon as im done with school

19. humanitarikim permalink
    February 21, 2011 6:32 pm

I love the spider monkey eating the banana! So cute!

20. February 21, 2011 6:42 pm

Totally awesome and sooo jealous. The world is such an interesting place too bad that so few of us venture out to experience it.

21. February 21, 2011 6:52 pm

Great photographs and stories. Thank you for sharing your journey!

22. February 21, 2011 6:53 pm

I agree about the coffee table book. Our planet is so gorgeous I can hardly stand it!

23. gmomj permalink
    February 21, 2011 6:53 pm

Really stunning pictures.
    really shows the world as a colorful and beautiful place.

24. February 21, 2011 7:02 pm

MMM!
    So delicious are the memories provoked in my minds eye from places I’ve seen as you have, and the dreams of what’s to come in my travelling life. Thank you for sharing! And Safe travels on the last leg of your journey!

25. February 21, 2011 7:19 pm

Beautiful photographs. Really enjoyed the photos and your post. Thank you for sharing.

26. February 21, 2011 7:20 pm

Beautiful pictures. Thank you for sharing.

27. February 21, 2011 7:25 pm

Absolutly amazing! What a wonderful experience! WOw. Im actually speechless after reading this post. Nicely done! Keep on keeping on! Wow!

28. February 21, 2011 7:26 pm

Oh wow….I love your blog. The spider monkey is so great!!!! Love the pictures

29. February 21, 2011 7:33 pm

Because you mention “on considerably less money”: How are you financing this trip or what is your budget?
    Thanks!

• Gaia permalink*
      February 23, 2011 1:20 am

Hi Andreas,

We are working our way around the world (I am a journalist), plus we are renting our house and getting a little extra money that way. We are travelling on a tight budget, which means staying in cheap places, using public transport and eating in local places.

30. February 21, 2011 7:33 pm

Oh my goodness! One of the coolest blog posts I’ve seen in a great while. Unfortunately I don’t have time to back track at this very moment and see all your other posts and find out more background info on this trip across the world. I will definitely check it out later. I would love to know how and why this whole trip started. Sounds like a dream come true. The pictures are lovely – my favorite is that first one of you in Ethiopia, so cool!

I agree with the commenter above, you’ve got to make a little book out of this, at least so that you and Nick can have it for memories. Although – you do have this blog! Something physical is always nice still..

Take care and I will have to check out the rest of your blog sometime later this evening or further down the week!

31. Zain permalink
    February 21, 2011 9:05 pm

beautiful photos, I am teaching that novel “around the world in 80 day” and its amazing to see that someone is tracing Mr.Fogg’s foot print. You should have post a small map route too.
    Thanks for sharing 🙂

• Gaia permalink*
      February 23, 2011 1:15 am

Thanks Zain, for the maps, look under ‘Where On Earth’ tab along the top of the blog.

32. February 21, 2011 9:24 pm

Great pictures. I just stumbled onto this blog, and its great, what an adventure!

33. February 21, 2011 9:33 pm

What a fantastic adventure! Everyone, at some point in their life, should travel out of their native country. There is so much culture to experience. You are very blessed!

34. February 21, 2011 9:51 pm

What an amazing journey! I loved checking out the slide shows of the wonderful places you’ve visited. You are so lucky!

35. February 21, 2011 10:03 pm

What an amazing achievement! I really like the descriptions of the great individuals doing great things you have described particularly. The photos just add that extra appeal.

36. February 21, 2011 10:07 pm

Looks like an amazing adventure! Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful pictures.

37. Gaia permalink*
    February 21, 2011 10:31 pm

Wow, what a lot of very lovely comments! Thanks all. We’ve just got off the boat from Honduras to Belize and the internet connection is a bit tricky here, but as soon as it’s better, I’ll answer your questions. Thanks again!

38. Tricia Allen permalink
    February 21, 2011 10:38 pm

Wonderful slideshow!

39. February 21, 2011 11:41 pm

Awesome pictures. Just awesome.

40. February 21, 2011 11:59 pm

i have always wanted such the similar journey. where do i begin i now ask myself and has it been too long? both questions i know the true depth of meaning to, but there is this one tiny tiny itsybitsy, let’s say leech, sucking at my drive and ambition and strength and intellect, i call it fear. i’m still pushing though, especially when i find or am led to (this time by FreshlyPressed) these little reminders and i remember that i can do whatever my heart is in. thank you two for such beautiful (<understatement) photos and freedom, and endurance.

41. February 22, 2011 12:49 am

Delicious…Friend

42. February 22, 2011 1:33 am

Great pics and great journey.
    This is one of the best blogs I have ever seen simply because you have almost done what I always wanted to do – TRAVEL.
    And not ordinary travel but travel like the way you are doing.
    I will keep in touch with you for want of more information.

43. February 22, 2011 2:01 am

argghhhh… what a super inspiring story !!!

44. February 22, 2011 3:11 am

Whale picture is so Fantastic.
    Great Adventure :thumbup:

45. Hope permalink
    February 22, 2011 3:25 am

How did you afford it? I find that fastinating!

• Gaia permalink*
      February 23, 2011 1:22 am

Hi Hope,

46. February 22, 2011 4:03 am

what those great pictures, welcome to China having those journey and taken me with you guys, i can’t wait~~~

47. February 22, 2011 4:08 am

That is incredible. I am definitely looking forward to more of your stories on the trip. Congratulations on being Freshly Pressed.

48. February 22, 2011 4:32 am

Fabulous photographs…first-rate adventure! Happy travels!

49. February 22, 2011 5:00 am

it’s Fabulous

50. February 22, 2011 5:06 am

What a fun post to look at. Can’t wait til I retire and I’m able to travel more.

51. February 22, 2011 5:24 am

It’s really amazing, travelling around the world, great photos taken and interesting stories shared.

Good job!

52. February 22, 2011 5:29 am

waaawwwwww

53. February 22, 2011 6:22 am

Such beauty, such dare, such wonderful gifts from your journey…. Thank you for sharing them all. I love the many photos!
    Bob voyage!
    Elizabeth

54. February 22, 2011 6:47 am

Loved it!! Just brilliant… Thanks for sharing.. I wish I could travel the world like that… And if I do, I know whom to ask for travel advice.. 🙂

55. Joel Hightower permalink
    February 22, 2011 7:31 am

Beautiful pictures ! They are breathtaking and unique . Just seeing different cultures all over the world and animals in nature are just beautiful . Takes me away from the problems and reminds me of just how beautiful the world is

56. Nicola Makanjuola permalink
    February 22, 2011 9:25 am

OP and I are completely blown away by what you have both seen and done. Although looking through the photos has made us feel slightly ashamed of our hideously boring suburban life, at the risk of sounding a bit sentimental, it was also genuinely inspiring. We think we might dump Sam and Oscar off in an orphanage somewhere and copy you on a small scale for a week or two.

Well done to both of you … amazing stuff.

Nicola x

‘Dave Kidbrooke’ sounds both interesting and sexy. Do you have his contact details?

• Gaia permalink*
      February 22, 2011 4:54 pm

Come out here with the orphans! Mexico is very orphan friendly xx

57. February 22, 2011 9:27 am

I love everything! Great photos and amazing experiences. Thanks for sharing these. Now I envy you together with all these places you have been! 🙂 Keep travelling and sharing these stuff!

58. February 22, 2011 9:42 am

Wow..very interesting..Good for you!I am in Iran.So when will you come to my country?

• Gaia permalink*
      February 23, 2011 1:24 am

Hi Elena, One day I hope to visit Iran!

• February 27, 2011 11:22 am

I wouldn’t recommend a trip to Iran, because you might easily end up in prison: http://andreasmoser.wordpress.com/2009/07/30/reports-about-my-trip-to-iran-in-junejuly-2009/

• February 28, 2011 5:35 am

@Andreas Moser Hello, you mustn’t have joined the protesters.What are the affairs of my country to you that you joined the protest.It was not related to you.. the protesters did n’t have the permit to protest.Anderas Moser you will end up to prison if you go to any country and do against the law.
        If any body wants to travel any country,They must follow the rules of that country.
        .Am I true?
        Many many people have come to my country and enjoyed.

• February 28, 2011 7:09 am

What about the Iranians who protested? Why were they beaten, arrested, tortured, imprisoned and shot in the streets? (For just one example, see this film: http://andreasmoser.wordpress.com/2010/09/07/tv-documentary-for-neda/)

And in other countries, if I am arrested, I will at least be allowed to have contact with my country’s consulate. Not so in Iran. The Iranian Intelligence Service refused me any contact with my consulate or a lawyer for the whole time of my detention.

59. kannan permalink
    February 22, 2011 11:03 am

bio-diversity is life
    bio-diversity is our life

60. February 22, 2011 11:11 am

Great stuff! It must be wonderful to do what you are doing!
    Great slideshow with beautiful photographs.
    Enjoy the rest of your journey!!

61. February 22, 2011 11:34 am

nice pics….fantastic

62. February 22, 2011 12:02 pm

i’m currently in Germany, I don’t have as great of a travel blog as you, but heres some on my awkward stay in Hamburg and Berlin so far.

63. February 22, 2011 12:14 pm

how i wish i would be able to do that in the future….im so envious heheheh

64. February 22, 2011 1:25 pm

This journey you had is actually my dream. Right now I have visited or lived in merely 8 countries. Still far to catch up with your accomplishment, but this blog of yours surely keeps the spirit alive in me.
    Thanks!
    Cheers,
    Bama

65. February 22, 2011 2:12 pm

Great photos and great stories !

66. Roda permalink
    February 22, 2011 2:45 pm

Hi,
    Thank you for sharing your beautiful pictures. Everyone has a different take on what they like to click ….I liked your Miss Crab, your parrots and your butterflies the bestest.

67. February 22, 2011 3:33 pm

Amazing, I hope you have a nice trip=]

68. February 22, 2011 11:34 pm

Well written Write-up. Glad i am able yo locate a site with some knowledge plus a great writing style.
    You keep publishing and i will continue to Keep browsing

Thanks Again

69. February 23, 2011 11:51 am

Hi Gaia,

First of all congratulations!!! you are doing a amazing trip. My name is Rodrigo, I am from Brazil and as ou guys I gonna start my rwt in July 2011 with my girlfriend, we are going to travel during 1 year and 6 month, planning to do in 80 weeks all over the world. I am a biologist that love surf and my girlfriend is inside disgner. I saw some of your pictures and decided to write you to let you know that I got fascinated. I hope to have suck a nice trip as yours.

I am preparing also a blog, is all written in portugues, is getting realy good and will be a pleasure if you checked.

Congratulations again.

Rodrigo

70. February 23, 2011 6:01 pm

Wow, what incredible pictures! The colours just pop!

71. smilesndreams permalink
    February 23, 2011 7:20 pm

Great write-up. You are an inspiration to travel more! I love travelling and have visited 5 countries till now and lived in 4 of them, and hope to explore more places and travel more soon. I bet it must be amazing to see the different cultures and people of different languages and different ways of living…etc. Plus I love all the photos too!

72. February 27, 2011 5:19 pm

Great Photos, very unusual shots.

73. April 7, 2011 8:06 am